Wednesday, December 28, 2011

similarities through generations

I've been thinking about a couple of my "past" aunts recently.  Both Miller aunts.  I connected with a cousin a couple of years ago who had information on my Miller ancestry.  More than I thought was out there.  As a result, I have become very curious about a couple of my aunts, Theresa and Sophia.  Neither Theresa nor Sophia ever married.  Sophia gave her life to the service of the Lord, and I admire that greatly.  I don't know a whole lot about Theresa but I do know that she never married. Both of the ladies had the Miller last name.  It may sound strange, but knowing about these two aunts makes me feel a little better about my singleness.  When I think about my future, marriage is never in my thoughts.  I firmly believe that God has called me to be single and that I will never marry.  It's something I struggle with on a daily basis.  Am I a lesser woman because I'm single?  Is there something wrong with me that would not make me a good wife or mother?  No.  I don't think there is anything that causes this.  It all falls under the will of God.  I don't understand it all yet but I know that one day I will see the completed puzzle and it will all make sense.  Being single today doesn't carry as big of a stigma as it when my aunts were alive.  I don't think that it would have bothered Aunt Sophie as she gave her life to the service of the Lord.  I do wonder about Aunt Theresa.  It seems like there was a bigger stigma on single women in the 1800s than there is now.  Did that stop my aunt?  No, not at all.  I have a feeling that she was very successful in whatever she did, and I have historical records to show that she was a respected member of the community. I have also seen an inscription from a Bible that she gave my great-grandpa.  Knowing that she was a woman of strength and of faith, give me strength and faith. It gives me empowerment to get through my day.  Thank you for letting me share with you.

1 comment: