Monday, February 20, 2012

Hoarding in my emotional closet

So I am a big fan of hoarders.  Don't ask me why.  It just fascinates me how people can take items that many people would consider trash and want to hold onto them.  It's not very easy to understand why they would want to hold onto these items, but then they start telling about their lives and how they got to the point of holding onto everything.  Many of the items have some type of emotional connection to an earlier time in their lives or some loved one that they've lost.  When I hear their stories, it becomes a little easier to understand, this need to fill their lives with something other than what they have gone through in the past.

I think that I do the same thing with my emotional closet.  I have a lot of stuff buried that I drag out because I'm attached to them.  Some things I think I've gotten rid of and then find them again when I'm rearranging other things in my emotional closet.  So I have this 1,000 gallon garbage bag full of emotional that is stuck in my mind.  It may be huge but I do have the ability to hide it on occasion. 

Well, I uncovered it recently.  I have been digging through the bag for days.  Taking things out and putting them in a pile and then putting them back in the bag.  These are things that are really hard to hand over to God.  I think I'm speaking for Him in my mind and not sitting still and listening enough.  Well, I'm listening.  But I'm listening to the rats hiding in the closet and not the professional organizer waiting outside to help me clean the junk out.  So I'm gonna close now.  Apparently I have some house cleaning to do. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Made me ask what am I carrying around in my emotional baggage? Now I have to think it through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have too much in my emotional closet, but the rats keep dragging it back in...

    ReplyDelete