Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Step back in time with me...

So I know that curiosity killed the proverbial cat, but sometimes I just have to search some things out.  After watching Jane Eyre recently and having seen Wuthering Heights before, I decided to look up the Bronte (and yes, I know there's supposed to be two little dots over that last E but the alt+number thing doesn't work on my computer and I don't know how to do it otherwise) sisters and see what their life was like, since the aforementioned novels contained such sadness at the beginning.  To my surprise, I discovered a third novelistic sister, Anne.  She was the author of a novel named Agnes Grey.  I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  Parts of the Agnes' thoughts were like taking thoughts right out of my own head.  I'll share a couple with you below. 

I wondered why so much beauty should be given to those who made so bad a use of it, and denied to some who would make it a benefit to both themselves and to others.
We all have some thoughts that all the angels in heaven are welcome to behold, but not our brother-men - not even the best and kindest among them. 
By His help I will arise and address myself to my appointed duty.  If happiness in this world is not for me, I will endeavour to promote the welfare of those around me, and my reward shall be hereafter - so I said in my heart.
What business had I to think so much of one that  never thought of me?
And my favorite:
We have had trials, and I know that we must have them again; but we bear them well together, and endeavour to fortify ourselves and each other against the final separation - that greatest of all afflictions to the survivor.  But, if we keep in mind the glorious heaven beyond, were both may meet again, and sin and sorrow are unknown, surely that too may be borne, and meantime, we endeavour to live to the glory of Him who has scattered so many blessings in our path. 
So maybe I went a little overboard with the quotes, but I really identified with Agnes.  At one point in the novel, she is praying that God's will be done, then she's adding "All things are possible with God and let it be your will" to it, and finally "God, it's not just for me."  I feel that way sometimes, not sure if something I'm praying for is in God's will but knowing that He can do anything, even the things that seem impossible to us.  As big a thing as that is to wrap our human minds around, that's the part where faith comes in, it is the substance of things hoped for (Heb. 11:1).  And on that note I'll say good night.  Agnes got her happy ending, maybe I need to be praying more about mine.

And now I think I have said sufficient.

2 comments: