Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Book Review of "At Every Turn" by Anne Mateer

I think most of you know that I like to read. I like to read romance, preferably historical romance. Recently I was introduced to an author I did not know about. I was given the chance to preview the book for free in exchange for a review here on my blog.  The review was not required to be positive.  Here is what I thought about it:

 At Every Turn by Anne Mateer takes the reader on a journey through the eyes of Alyce. Alyce is a young impulsive girl with a good heart and a love for speed. She has to keep her love for speed a secret from her family. The only one who knows is her father’s mechanic, Webster. Webster is a mysterious man, very “little” is known about his past. In a moment of impulsiveness brought forth from her good heart, Alyce pledges as large amount of money to help foreign missionaries. When her efforts (and her good heart) cause her to fall short of her goal, Alyce enlists Webster to help her enter a race to try to reach her goal. Throughout the rest of the book, the reader gets to know Alyce and Webster more as Alyce races towards her goal.

I found Alyce’s blend of naivete and impulsiveness to be refreshing. She does not let the fact that she was born into money affect her view of others whose social class is lower than hers. Webster was a hard puzzle to figure out. I could see pieces of his heart through his care for Alyce, and was very pleased when the fullness of his heart could be seen. This book did not disappoint. Anne Mateer takes the reader on a journey filled with twists and turns that will keep the reader enthralled through the end of the book. If you are looking for a good read and love historical romance, this is the book for you. Historical romance happens to be my favorite. I haven’t read many set in the early 1900s, and I usually don’t enjoy books written in the first person tense. This book is both, and Anne Mateer did an excellent job. I look forward to reading more of her books.

No comments:

Post a Comment