Sunday, April 21, 2013

"Deep Water Faith"

Anytime I buy a new Christian CD, there is always one or two tracks that speak to me more than others.  This is the song that gets put on repeat.  If there is a performance track, I may download it and sing it at church. My most recent CD purchase was Casting Crowns Acoustic Sessions.  My favorite song off this album is Somewhere in the Middle.  Part of the chorus talks about "deep water faith in the shallow end" and makes me think of someone getting ready to go swimming, complete with life jacket, arm floaties, a floatie for the waist, and a couple of other flotation devices just to be safe.

It also makes me think of the storm when the disciples were in the boat, and Jesus comes walking on the water out to them.  Peter tells the Lord that if it is really Him, let Peter walk out to Him.  So Jesus said, "Come."  Peter gets out of the boat.  While He's looking at Jesus, everything is fine.  But the minute he sees the wind, he starts to sink and Jesus has to take Peter by the hand to get him out of the water.  I feel this way many times.  Only instead of getting out of the boat, I'm too busy looking for something else to keep me afloat in case I start to sink.   I'm sitting in the boat right now.  I'm afraid to step out.  I don't know if I have the faith to stay afloat.  I know I'd be fine in the shallow water.  I know I can touch bottom there.  It's the getting farther out that bothers me.  He's kept me afloat before, pulled me out when the outside storms started to rage and I started to sink because I forgot to look at Him.

So, am I going to step out of the boat?  Maybe once I find some arm floaties at least.

1 comment: