Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Everyone but Mr. Darcy...

Anyone who knows me very well can tell you that I like Jane Austen.  I like Jane Austen movies (and Bronte and anything in between those two).  Well, I saw a post on Facebook today that went something like this:

In my life, I have a Lydia, a Wickham, a Collins, 
a Mrs. Bennett, a Bingley, and a Lady Catherine.  
The only thing missing is my Mr. Darcy.

So, my life isn't as bad as all that.  I would have to say:

 I have a Jane, a Mary, several Charlottes,
a Lady Catherine, a Mr. Collins, an Aunt Gardiner, 
and a Wickham. A Bingley would be nice.
But no Mr. Darcy.

Jane and Wickham are pretty self-explanatory if you think hard enough about it.  In fact, I probably better move right on along to my Charlottes.  My Charlottes are my close friends.  We may not always be on the best of terms, but I know they are there for me when I need them.  None of them are married to a Mr. Collins (or my Mr. Collins), thank goodness.  I probably better not say too much about my Mr. Collins either.  Although I have received no better offer, I have no regrets about the rejection of the original offer.  I think about what road that offer might have led me down and I have no doubt that I am happier where I am.

I cannot see Dame Judi Dench as Lady Catherine without thinking of the Lady Catherine in my life.  In fact, several of their mannerisms are exactly the same, including the looking-down-her-nose-at-you-while-looking-at-you-at-the-same-time look.  It's uncanny.  I wish you could see what I was talking about.  Unfortunately though, there are moments when I can act like a Lady Catherine.  There have been a few too many of these moments here recently.  The people on the receiving end of my Lady Catherine act usually need a Charlotte instead of a Lady Catherine.  That is something that bothers me.  The woods are polluted enough without more Lady Catherines.  The woods need the fragrance of more Janes and more Charlottes.  

How thankful I am that I do not have a Mrs. Bennett in my life.  My mom is more down to earth and not as attention-grabbing as Mrs. Bennett.  Thankfully, her energies are focused on better things that trying to marry me off.  She's more like Mr. Bennett.  She has her moments, as we all do.  I'm sure she would say the same thing about me.  :-) Finally, Aunt Gardiner.  My Aunt Gardiner has not taken me on a trip to find my Mr. Darcy, but that may be a plan for the future.  Hint hint if you are reading this Aunt Gardiner.  Maybe we can look for Uncle Gardiner while we look for Mr. Darcy.

Or just let me drive, I'll get us lost, and maybe we'll find them both by accident.

1 comment: