Tuesday, October 1, 2013

"Rebellious Heart" in all of us


Rebellious Heart is the first book by Jody Hedlund that I have read.  I have had another one of her books on my ereader for a while and had never actually read it until I read this book.  After reading this book, I am a fan.  This is the story of Susanna Smith, a young woman who longs to learn more and also wants to help the less fortunate more than she is able.  She has the means but hindered because she is a woman.  Benjamin Ross is a young lawyer who wants to change the world but is hindered by his lack of funds.  Susanna and Benjamin each have what the other needs to accomplish their dreams.  Benjamin is attracted to Susanna's intelligence from the start.  She doesn't want to fall in love with him but her rebellious heart takes the decision out of her hands...

Their tale is a glimpse into life in colonial America.  This book was a real page turner.  Ms. Hedlund provided the perfect blend of drama and romance to keep me turning the page.  There were a few instances when the drama was so intense I was almost afraid to turn the page because of the fear of what was going to happen.  There is a lot of action in the story.  Susanna is very determined in what she is doing, and will let nothing stop her. Benjamin gets drawn in, to help her and also protect her.  I don't want to say to much more - you really need to read the book for yourself to find out.

There were a couple of scenes that I didn't find very believable for the time period, but this did not detract from the story as a whole.  I thoroughly enjoyed the whole book.  It was extremely well written and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical romance with drama and suspense thrown in.  Maybe your heart will be like mine and fall in love with this book.

*I was provided a free copy of this book in exchange for a honest review.*

No comments:

Post a Comment