Monday, October 28, 2013

Review of "Take Charge of Your Emotions" by Dr. Linda J. Solie


So, I am not the biggest fan of non-fiction.  However, every once in a while, the title of a non-fiction book will catch my attention.  This book is one of those books.  The title of this book promises a lot, and I can tell you that it does deliver.  It's not a "read this and your life will be instantly changed" book.  Dr. Solie provides solid steps for changing the way you think.  She doesn't provide simple steps that are going to just gloss over problems and thoughts.  She walks the reader through steps that can be applied to many areas in life.  She also provides realistic examples to which the reader can relate.  Dr. Solie makes the reader focus on self-talk, which is the basis for anger, depression, and anxiety when it is all negative.  She tries to get the reader to focus on helpful self-talk, which helps people overcome the negative feelings.  Dr. Solie really emphasizes the connection between negative self-talk and negative feelings.

I took her seven steps and applied them to a situation.  Instead of focusing on the my initial feelings and gut reactions about the situation, these seven steps allowed me to look at the situation from a different view point.  It allowed me to change my self-talk, and help me to be more positive about the situation and not so negative, which helped to eliminate the anger, depression, and anxiety that I had originally felt about the situation.

I would recommend this book to anyone who struggles with any feelings of anger, depression, and anxiety.  This book would be especially helpful for people who struggle with negative self-talk.  I know that negative self-talk is usually a precursor to any negative feelings that I have.  I plan to continually apply these steps to my life to help me overcome these negative feelings.

*Thanks to Bethany House for a complimentary copy of this book in return for an unbiased review.*

1 comment: