Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Driving in the dark

When I take a trip to a new place, I generally like to look on a map so I have a good idea of where I am going.  Fortunately, I have GPS on my cell phone, and getting lost is usually not a problem (unless I don't have the address right - but that's for another blog post).  

The Christian life is a journey.  If you are a born-again believer, you know where you're gonna end up.  However, everyone's journey is not the same.  Some things happen the same for everyone - birth, school, college (or not).  So here's where the path gets a little difficult.  The early stages are easy - you're not driving the car so someone is basically telling you where to go.  As you get older, you might get out for side trips but the trip is basically planned.  It's the part of the journey when you get your own car and start driving yourself that the path sometimes gets hard.  You may have had an idea of where you want to go, based on dreams and plans and friends.  However, that may not necessarily be where you end up.

My journey has been a lot like that.  If someone had told me a couple of years ago, that I would be where I am at today, I probably would have laughed.  But it's beginning to look like I'm stuck on Boring Boulevard and that my journey may end on this road.  I really don't think so, but the path ahead is dark and it's hard to see where I am going.  My headlights are flickering so I don't even know what the next mile will bring.  

My GPS is not working.  The only thing I have is a Road Map.  The thing about a road map is that you have to open it for it to work, and I won't open mine.  I am beginning to think that my car is on the back of a semi, and I'm actually going backwards.  A person would think that I would have made a lot of progress, seeing as how I don't have passengers and I don't have to make that many pit stops.  I really feel like I am going backwards.  Or nowhere.  Basically the same thing I think.

So what do I do about my journey?  Get off the truck?  Make sure my head lights are working properly?  Maybe open my road map?  Am I going to see any of the destinations that I've dreamed about?  Are there even any scenic spots on my journey?  Or have I missed them because I'm too busy changing the radio station or staring at the odometer?  Either way, I think it's time for a fill-up (and a check to make sure there is not a leak in the gas line) and I can't get that done typing on a computer.  So I'm going to go check in with the Mechanic, and maybe I'll take some time to look at the Map.

How is your journey going?

3 comments:

  1. I always love your analogies. You should write a book of faith analogies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Carissa. I love your analogies.

    As for my journey, I am stalled on the side of the road. The road has been bumpy for awhile and I believe it's broken the frame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that way sometimes, Debra. I miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete