Thursday, July 11, 2013

On a roll now!

One of the Psalms (exactly which one I'm not sure) mentions remembering what God has done in the past.  Much of the time I am so focused on what He is not doing at the present moment that I forget what He has done for me in the past.  I decided to share one of those times with you. 

When I was in college, I was heading home for summer break one year.  It was probably after my sophomore or junior year, I don't remember which.  I was headed home in my little GMC pickup with all my stuff in the back.  I was coming home down the turnpike.  It was around mile marker 9, almost 40 miles from my house.  My little truck stopped running.  I pulled over to the side of the road.  I tried to restart it but nothing was happening.  This was about 3 years before I had a cell phone.  I'm essentially in the middle of nowhere.  There are no stores close, no homes close.  I had no choice but to start walking.  I had no idea what was going to happen.  I started praying, "God, please send someone, anyone!"  Ok, then I had to rephrase the prayer, "OK, God, not anyone, please send someone safe!  I locked the truck up good, and started off down the road, praying the whole time.  I had gotten no more than 10 yards from my truck when this car pulls over.  It was a lady and her child.  I told her what had happened and she asked me where I was going.  Funny thing, or a God-thing (if you'll allow me), this lady was from Valliant, which is 4 miles from where my parents lived.  She gave me a ride to her house, and let me call my dad.  So God sent someone SAFE to take care of me. 

It's sad how I forget these moments when I get so focused on today.  I feel like one of the Israelites at times, they had seen God do so much for them when He got them out of Egypt.  But how did they thank Him?  By grumbling and complaining and making idols out of gold.  I may not make idols out of gold (I think cell phones/computers and a golden calf could be about equal though), but I do grumble and complain about what I don't have without taking notice of what I do have.  I may not have everything I think I want, but I have what I need.  I need to show gratitude more often instead of grumbling, and confirmation instead of complaining. 

1 comment: