Monday, July 22, 2013

Sometimes it's the little details...

When I got back to my office this afternoon after eating lunch, I noticed that I had a visitor hanging around outside my window.


I'll have to admit that I have never really admired grasshoppers.  They can be pests, and they like to jump on me at the worst times.  They're not scary, but when I'm not expecting one to land on me (and then they do), the reaction is not a good one.  I really enjoyed the opportunity today to examine one a little closer.  My co-workers probably think I am crazy because I was talking to him, trying to get him to move closer so I could take a better picture.  He eventually moved closer but the picture didn't turn out well.  

As I was watching my little friend this afternoon, I noticed his mouth.  There were two little palps on either side of his mouth.  I'm not exactly sure what purpose they serve, or what he was doing while I was watching him, but it made me think.  Before, I always thought of grasshoppers as just pests or insects and thought nothing of swatting them away or squashing them under my shoe.  However, as I watched this grasshopper do whatever he was doing, I was fascinated by the little details I could see all over him.  To think that God would care about the little details on such a little insect (OK, not that little as he was the length of my pinkie finger), to put that much design and thought into something that is nothing more than a pest to most people, is an astounding thought.  If the Creator of the universe cares that much about an insect, then He must care about the little aspects of my life too.  

It's the little aspects of my life that are giving me the most worry this week.  Not worry so much, I have my own solutions to the issues that I know are going to come up.  I have my plans made.  I've been telling myself though, that God doesn't have much interest in my little things.  Most of us seek God when we have a big decision to make, like do I marry this person or do I take that job.  But when the little things roll around, we don't seek Him.  Or I know I don't.  I've never really felt like He would be that interested in the small things.  

My little friend tells me different.  My little friend tells me that God cares about the small things.  My little friend says that God cares about the legs on a grasshopper or the palps by a grasshopper's mouth.  My little friend says that God cares about the way a grasshopper moves and the way he's able to hang onto a hot window for 3 hours in the same afternoon.  So, am I going to give my little worries over to God? Will I let Him use the little things to make me into a better person?  Will I be like my little friend and hang on even when the window gets hot?  I guess I'll find out...

1 comment: